York House Society website banner showing the front of York House. Photo ©Yvonne Hewett
 About the Society |  Joining |  History of York House & the Gardens  |  Useful Links & References

Welcome to the History of the York House Society's website.
For the main York House Society site, please go to The York House Society

  Follow us on Twitter  Join us on Facebook

York House location

Introduction to the York House Society

The York House Society is Twickenham's oldest amenity society. It was formed in 1924 from the committee of councillors and local residents that was originally set up in 1922, to persuade the then Urban District Council to buy York House for conversion to a town hall. This was part of the campaign to secure the status of a borough for Twickenham. (See here for the history of the Society)

Now, the Grade II listed building is part of the headquarters of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Parts of it are open on occasions, and can be rented for weddings and events. The York House Society continues to be active in the community, with special interests in central Twickenham, York House and its environs and the neighbouring Thames riverside. Lady Panufnik is the patron.

 
The back of the house, the terrace and the sunken garden. Photo ©Yvonne Hewett
The back of the house, the terrace and the sunken garden. Photo ©Yvonne Hewett